Thursday, December 8, 2011

Fluffy Ruffles post card, c. 1909

I spotted this postcard from a distance at the East Hanover show, and immediately recognized the Fluffy Ruffles silhouette. Large hat adorned with flowers, tailored jacket (slightly longer) and full skirt with pleat detail. Ah, and the verse confirms it:
Oh, you kid! How she does it I don't know, / Gets but 10 a week or so /Always dressed in latest styles /"Fluffy Ruffles" wreathed in smiles /Every week a brand new beau/How she does it, /I don't know/Oh, you kid!
This verse is a play on the popular tune of 1909, "I Love My Wife, But Oh You Kid," by Harry Von Tilzer. My earlier blog posts on Fluffy Ruffles can be read by clicking the link in this sentence. I consider Fluffy Ruffles the Carrie Bradshaw of the early 20th century, a career woman/fashion plate bedeviled by the opposite sex.

The card was produced by the Magor Novelty & Post Card Co., 1193 Broadway, N.Y.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I find your blog fascinating. It's a whole new world for me. I LOVED LOVED LOVED paper dolls as a kid. However, they were not nearly as wonderful when they invented the perforated punch-out clothes. I think I enjoyed cutting out the clothes as much as playing with them.

    ReplyDelete