Thursday, February 9, 2012

Book tag

I'm enchanted with little books, handmade books, old books, new books. Someday I am sure I will love big books with large-type. I made this book tag from a tag that came on a new camel hair coat I bought a few years ago. The scrap above is from a new catalog; below are copies of vintage scrap found on the web and in Somerset Studio Magazine. The butterfly is real vintage scrap.

I love small bookstores with cats. I miss the Gotham Book Mart, which I wrote about here.

Did you know the Poets House is a library and reading room in lower Manhattan? You can read about it here.

Below is a photo postcard from the old Poets House on Spring Street, 2005:


Quite a suit on that browsing fellow. Some poetry is in order:

If you love poetry, check out the Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival.

I just finished reading "Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity," nonfiction by Katherine Boo. It is solid journalism but also a kind of poetry and I highly recommend it.

I look forward to playing tag with other book lovers at Sepia Saturday. Click  logo to see more.

14 comments:

  1. Your browsing fellow's suit looks like bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saturday nights will have different meaning now I've read that poem.
    I never cesae to be amazed by things I find when browsing books - something you cannot do on a Kindle or the like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, you're right! Didn't see that at first.

    And Bob, that is so true. No serendipity on a Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to know more about this man in the wild suit. I don't even know where you could buy such a thing.

    I'll check out the Katherine Boo book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't tell what the man in the weird suit is doing, but the picture made me think of a "dirty old man" browsing girlie magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On enlarging that photo, I believe that is a woman with her hair up since she has earrings on both ears. Would love to be able to read the title of those books. I agree with Bob no browsing with a Kindle. That is something I would never have bought myself. My kids gave it to me.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the photos, but the real winner for me was the poem. Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Possibly a woman, you never know these days, as many men wear ear rings too, but that suit..oh I hope she's a woman, and the hat is kind of cool too...if only the person turned around...ha ha the poem is great and on the subject of kindles they have their place, but the book will forever rule!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is a woman judging by the earrings, the whispy hair, the hat and the suit. Well, the suit, I don't know about the suit. I think I will have to change my plans for tonight after reading that poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love browsing in used book stores and some of my favorite books are ones I just came across by accident - and I think it is a woman as I enlarged it as well and that hat looks a bit feminine. Either way, it is an "interesting" choice. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mention of little books and handmade books reminded me of little hand-made books made by the Bronte children in Haworth, just up the road from where I live. I suppose the modern equivalent would be a self-published e-book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can't beat a good book shop or good record shop, new or secondhand ... many a day has been well spent browsing through book shelves and record racks in musty basements.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing beats bookshop browsing, even if you leave emptyhanded.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have earrings, well, tunnels actually, the kind you stretch your lobe to fit in the tunnel... and I can tell you: No man wears pearls!! That's obviously a woman. Snazzy suit though, I'll give her that much!! The hat seems a bit peculiar though, for my taste...
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete