Friday, March 30, 2012

At work at the Times

My father, far left in this picture, was a printer at the New York Times for 46 years. Above, setting hot type, Dec. 18, 1976. The transition to cold type was just about to happen, I believe. People wanted to memorialize the old way of doing things with photos. The printers had a great union, the International Typographical Union, Big 6 was his chapter. Jobs were lost through attrition; no one was fired as automation streamlined jobs that once took many men to accomplish.

Above, laying out the sports page in October 1986, when the New York Mets won the World Series. My father loved his job, and his union. It's what gave my family a foothold in the middle-class.

The Times was my father's second family. In one of those amazing twists of fate, my husband works at the Times now. My father would have been proud. It's still the best newspaper in the world, as far as I am concerned.

I work for a newspaper too, and labor history means a lot to me. And the struggles of working people in other countries.

In Nov. 1988, I was on assignment in Chile for the Ford Foundation and took this picture. A demonstration had been organized by the Central Unitaria de Trabajadores. The men are holding a sign that reads: "We are workers, not slaves. No more miserable wages of 14,080 pesos." That amount was  equivalent to about $56 a month.

I was glad to hear the president of Apple visited Foxconn. Will it make a difference in the lives of workers who work long, tedious hours for little pay constructing our iPhones and iPads? I hope so.

Meanwhile, May 1 is coming up. I hear interesting things will be happening that day.

Click below to read more about working people.

16 comments:

  1. A post which comes close to my heart celebrating, as it does, both the newspaper industry and labour unions. And the NYT has to be up there among the top two or three newspapers in the world, although I would make a case for the Guardian to join it on the pantheon of journalism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all such interesting pictures. I once toured the printing works of our local newspaper, when it was still laid out the old fashioned way by typesetters; it was fascinating. It's great that the newspaper link has been maintained in for family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your uncle looks so proud of his job. And what a coincidence that now your husband also works for the nytimes. And that you're also in the biz. Your trip to Chile must have been so interesting.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a newspaper museum at the Minnesota State Fair. They have old newspapermen there demonstrating the old machines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The digital age has transformed so many jobs like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! The old typesetting seemed so labor-intensive that it's a wonder the newspaper got out so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Good Wishes To American Workers for The General Strike.(& Solidarity From England).
    I Like The Look Of Your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting shots of your father and his newspaper work. Went to the link about the strike. Hope it catches fire. Never heard of a general strike to include no chores before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A super post and right-on theme! I'm a member and former local president in the musicians union, so I can offer my solidarity here too. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting to hear about the NYT. A lot of the old skills have gone for good in these digital days. It makes you wonder how long a 'hard copy' newspaper will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you have these fascinating old photos. The typesetting seems so labor intensive, but so artful (is that a word?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sadly there are virtually no tyepsetters/compositors left in this country. It's all done in India. Years ago Indians came in and bought up all the companies then shut them down. Now my work too is being done in India. Though I love books and support my local bookstore, I'm upset that people don't realize that the book industry is one that has been also outsourced. In time I imagine they'll find a way to outsource the newspapers too. I think people would be shocked to really know what all is being outsourced and how many jobs are gone foreve.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My father also work in the printing industry, on the press though. New York Times? Looks good on a resume!!!
    Thanx 4 sharing and lucky for you to have such pics.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed your post and thank you for the info about newspapers and your families history of working at them.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lot of work, and great excitement and stress there must have been in producing a newspaper without the "benefit" of technology. Great pictures to have :-)

    ReplyDelete