Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Shirtwaist


Today, for the first time, I attended the commemoration of the 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in Greenwich Village. It was a very moving ceremony. All the names of the dead were read, some by descendants of the deceased, others by children just learning about the tragedy and its meaning in labor history. As they do each year at the ceremony, firefighters raised a ladder that did not reach the top floors of the building -- which still stands, and is part of the NYU campus.

You can see my original post of this collage, and more about the history of the fire that took 146 lives on March 25, 1911, by clicking here.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. I've taught about this tragedy in my business ethics course, and have written about it myself in another class. I enjoy your blog very much.
    Dr. E's Doll Museum
    Ellen T, doll collecting guide at
    About.com Doll collecting

    ReplyDelete